Happy Cinco de Mayo, folks! It’s fiesta time!!
Mexican food is so colorful, fun and bursting with flavors, whether it is loaded with cheese or smothered in zesty cilantro lime! I love to cook them all from tacos, nachos, fajitas, enchiladas, to salsas, quesos, soups, and more!
Thinking of a last minute idea to whip up something quick and enjoy it with a glass of margarita on the rocks tonight? How about vegetable quesadillas with mango salsa!! Just the thought of it makes me drool:)
Salsa Recipe Servings: 2 Time: 10 minutes
1 mango, semi ripe, chopped
½ red onion, chopped fine
½ jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
salt to taste
Mix all of the ingredients gently and enjoy!
Quesadilla recipe Servings: 2 Time: 20 minutes
2 Whole-wheat tortillas
4 white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 zucchini, sliced thin
½ red onion, sliced
1 cup Mexican cheese
2 tsp. oil
½ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
½ jalapeno, chopped
salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Add onions, zucchini, bell peppers and mushrooms and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Add salt and pepper and sauté. Turn the heat off.
- The vegetables should still have some crunch on them.
- Brush some oil on one side of the tortilla.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan or griddle and lay the tortilla with oil side down.
- Sprinkle cheese on half of the tortilla.
- Spoon 1/2 of the vegetable mixture on top of cheese.
- Sprinkle some more cheese on top of the vegetable, then fold the tortilla in half.
- Gently flip over and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Slice into half or quarters depending on the size of the tortilla.
- Enjoy with salsa and a dollop of sour cream!