Green veggies and my kids don’t mix very well! I have to come up with creative ways to sneak in vegetables in their meals. Broccoli has always been the hardest to incorporate in their diet. After few trials and errors, I have finally created a recipe that was a big hit with the kids and adults.
I believe in building layers of flavors thru combining my ingredients and cooking techniques. I have used roasting as my technique in this recipe. These patties are loaded with goodness ranging from broccoli, paneer to green peas. They are soft and crunchy at the same time…YUM!!
You can substitute with vegetables of your choice and create your own perfection but after you try these, you might get hooked on to them!
Recipe Makes: 10 patties Time: 30 minutes
1 broccoli crown, makes 1.5 cups after grinding.
2 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
½ cup crumbled paneer
¼ cup green peas
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp. ginger, grated
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. black pepper powder
1 tsp. chat masala
1 tsp. oil
1Tbsp oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Cut small florets from the broccoli, wash and pat dry them.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and olive oil on the broccoli and roast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Boil and mash the potatoes.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a nonstick pan and add onions. Sauté until translucent.
- Add green peas and sauté for couple more minutes.
- Coarsely grind the broccoli, onions and peas, once cooled in a food processor.
- Take a large bowl and add mashed potatoes, paneer, broccoli mixture and rest of the ingredients.
- Take a small portion from the mixture and form them into medium sized patties.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan, brush it with some oil.
- Place a few patties on the pan, drizzle a little oil on each patty and let it cook for 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat until they turn golden brown.
- Flip the patties and do the same to the other side too.
- Enjoy them with cilantro-mint chutney or ketchup!
- You can bake them in 400 F oven for 15-20 minutes flipping them over in between.
- Add green chilies or cayenne pepper for a spicier version.
- Add quinoa for healthier version.
- Add cheddar cheese instead of paneer and enjoy the flavors of broccoli cheddar soup!