Chocolate is an instant mood uplifter for me. Everyone in my family knows about my obsession for dark chocolate! My kids are very fond of chocolate chip cookies and I try to come up with healthier options for these sweet treats. I add oatmeal, and substitute the milk chocolate chips with dark ones. These dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookie bars are less sweet, much healthier and are perfect for our chocolate cravings!!
Try these gooey, yet crumbly, delicious goodness this weekend and I am sure you will get addicted to them! Happy Friday everyoneJ
Recipe Yields: 16 Bars Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (I used quick oats)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×9 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, oil, egg and vanilla extract and beat until the dough comes together.
- Mix in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for about 17-20 minutes. Check with a fork or toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
- Cool in the baking pan for about 20 minutes and then cut them into squares!
- Double the sugar if you like them sweet!
- Use chocolate chunks to kick it up a notch if you are a chocoholic like me!
- Add ¼ cup of milk for softer cookies.