Chicken Curry is a basic, one-pot chicken delicacy in Indian cuisine. This chicken preparation is a must-have and soul food in my family. My kids can have this succulent chicken dish with some naan any day of the week.
Across the region, this curry has many variations and they are all very aromatic and boast of their bold flavors! This is a very versatile curry with spicy garam masala and yogurt as the base in Northern India to warm earthy coconut milk and fragrant curry leaves dominating in the south. I love them all and am so proud of our country’s richness and versatility in food.
Now, getting back to the recipe, this is a basic chicken curry recipe, like my brother-in-law likes to call it and now my kids are following on his footsteps – “regular chicken”!!
Try this ultimate crowd pleaser at your next party:)
Recipe Servings: 6 Time: 1 hour
- 2.5 lbs. chicken cut into stew style
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 6-8 peppercorns
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole red chilies
- 2 Tbsp. yogurt
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 Tbsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. red chili powder (you can add more if you like extra hot!)
- ½ Tbsp. cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp. crushed tomatoes (you can use 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. mustard oil+1 Tbsp. canola oil (you can use any oil)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick pot.
- Add cumin seeds, whole red chilies, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and peppercorns. Let them crackle.
- Add sliced onions and fry until translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and ginger garlic paste and cook until chicken turns light brown.
- Add salt, turmeric, garam masala powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Fry for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add yogurt and tomatoes and fry until oil starts to separate.
- Add water and cook until chicken gets tender.
- Add some chopped cilantro and mix. Garnish with rest of the chopped cilantro.
- Serve with your favorite bread (roti, naan, paratha) or rice!