Memorial day marks the unofficial beginning of summer and summer means grilling for us!! I love to grill farm fresh veggies, chicken, seafood and fruits. Have you ever tried grilling fruits? Grilling fruits intensifies the natural sweetness and brings out the flavors of the fruits. I love experimenting with different kinds of marinades and the one I bring to you today is my favorite so far. This has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavors along with the freshness of cilantro, reminds me of my vacations in the Caribbean! You can use this marinade for shrimp, fish, any kind of meat or veggies.
Recipe Servings: 6-8 Time: 30 minutes +marinating
- 2 lbs chicken breast tenders, cut into cubes
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 5-6 stalks of cilantro
- 2 stalks of green onions
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala (you can use 1 tsp. of all spice)
- ½ tsp. tandoori masala or kabob spice mix
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rum
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime/lemon
- Salt to taste
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Marinate chicken pieces in the marinade for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Place them in skewers and grill to perfection using the marinade in between.
- I have added mini sweet peppers and red onions to the skewers along with the chicken.
- You can add any veggies of your choice!
- Soak the wooden skewers before using them so they don’t burn.
- You can leave the rum out, if you want.