I am a big fan of Thai cuisine, especially their curries! It has a delicate balance of flavors – tangy, spicy, creamy and sweet all at the same time. It is subtle yet packed with a punch. My favorites are Massaman curry and Red curry.
Atlanta is full of great Thai restaurants and we used eat out or do a carry out once a week – spicy basil fried rice and Massaman curry chicken with spring rolls as a side!! I miss that here and try to make it at home when possible. Today, I have made my favorite – Shrimp in red curry sauce.
You can use store bought Thai curry paste and I do that too when I am busy but I can assure you that nothing compares to the flavors of the home made paste using fresh ingredients! It creates profoundly robust layers of flavors…oh so YUM!!
Recipe Servings: 2 Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz. or ½ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 Red bell pepper, cut lengthwise
- ½ of 13.5 oz. can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. red Thai curry paste
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of scallion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp. coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (you can add up to a Tbsp. if you like it more fishy)
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- 1 cup of water or as desired
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- Add onions, white part of the scallions, chopped lemon grass and stir-fry until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, ginger garlic paste, red curry paste, stirring, for about a minute or two.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, coconut milk, and water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, until shrimp turns opaque and just cooked through, about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Stir in the lime juice, basil and cilantro.
- Serve with white jasmine or basmati rice.
Ingredients for red curry paste
**This makes about 6-8 Tbsp. of curry paste.
- 6-8 dry red chilies
- 10 – 12 cloves garlic
- 5-6 cilantro stems, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemongrass, chopped
- 2-3 shallots
- 1 tsp. white pepper corn powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp. galangal, chopped
- 1/2 the peel of a kaffir lime or 5-6 lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste (you can leave this out for vegetarian dishes)
Thai curry paste: Soak red chilies in water to make them soft. Then grind them together with other ingredients to make a paste. Store it in a glass jar.
- You can substitute shrimp with tofu or vegetables of your choice.
- Add more red curry paste to make it extra spicy.
- Make sure not to overcook the veggies, they taste better crunchy!
- Make a big batch of red curry paste and freeze in smaller portions.
- You can make this curry without fish sauce or shrimp paste.