I absolutely love all of the Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) recipes! Karahi (Kadai, or Kadhai) Paneer is my ultimate favorite among all of them.
Karahi is a deep, circular cooking vessel, similar to a wok and is used for cooking Indian stews and curries.
This is a very rustic dish that has soft cottage cheese cubes smothered in freshly pounded spices accompanied with bell peppers and onions! I bet your mouth is watering!! Give it a try soon and you will be a big fan of this dish just like me!!
Recipe Servings: 4 Time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, cubed or sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, cubed
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cubed
- ½ orange bell pepper, cubed
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 8 oz. Paneer, cut into 1inch cubes
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- Karahi masala (recipe below); you can use 1.5 – 2Tbsp. of store bought masala
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 inch ginger, julienned
- 1 Tbsp. Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Salt – to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- Few springs cilantro, finely chopped
Ingredients for karahi masala
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 2-3 dried whole red chilies
- 2 green cardamom
- 4-5 black peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
Dry roast and coarsely grind the spices mentioned above.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and sauté for couple more minutes.
- Add grated garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the karahi masala, kasoori methi, turmeric and salt. Cook for few more minutes.
- Add paneer pieces and stir gently.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro.
- Serve with hot naan, chapati or paratha!
- You can use green bell pepper instead of the colored ones.
- You can add a Tbsp. of heavy cream for an extra pizzazz!
- Try not to overcook the bell peppers, so they have some crunch.