Pulao or Pilaf is an aromatic rice dish that is cooked with vegetables or meat, spices and dry nuts. Vegetable Pulao is a very comforting and easy rice dish that is full of mild flavors from whole spices and vegetables.
It is a simple recipe that can be prepared using any vegetables you have at home, fresh or frozen! I make it in a pressure cooker when I want a quick one-pot meal. But I prefer to make it in a pan or wok, as I like my vegetables to be crunchy!
Recipe Servings: 6 Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium sized carrot, diced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, quartered
- ½ red bell pepper, cubed
- ½ green bell pepper, cubed
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup corn kernels (I roasted mine)
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ star anise
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- ½ tsp. garam masala powder
- 2 Tbsp. ghee or butter
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- cilantro, chopped
- Few strands of saffron
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Wash rice and soak it with couple cloves, a green cardamom and little salt for 15- 20 minutes. Cook until fully cooked.
- Warm milk in a bowl and add saffron strands to it.
- Heat oil and ghee in a big pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cardamoms, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and peppercorns. Let them crackle.
- Add sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and cook for couple minutes.
- Add mushrooms, peas and bell peppers. Stir-fry for few more minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala powder and cook until the vegetables are cooked. Make sure they have some crunch and are not too soft.
- Add cooked rice and saffron soaked milk. Gently mix them all together, making sure not to break the rice grains.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve it with raita or mint chutney.
- You can even garnish with raisins and cashews.
- No worries if there is no saffron.
- You can use frozen vegetables of your choice to save time.