Fall is here!! What a better way to welcome fall than with a bowl of warm soup and a piece of rustic baguette to dunk in it! Comfort in a bowl for me is spinach and cannellini bean soup. This soul-soothing and hearty soup is packed with flavors and healthy goodness. A one-pot meal that can be made in a jiffy and you can even freeze it and use later. For my family, this soup is a perfect week night dinner. You can serve it by itself or have it with rustic bread or a side salad.
You can make this soup with vegetables and beans of your choice! Try it this fall and make your family happy:)
Recipe Servings: 4 Time- 45 min
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) of Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped roughly
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (you can use canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup butternut squash, cut in cubes
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) vegetable broth (you can add chicken broth)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Water for desired consistency
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add squash, corn and rinsed cannellini beans and cook for couple minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, seasonings and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach leaves. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Serve with a side of whole grain bread or baguette!
- You can add chicken broth instead if you like.
- Add any vegetables of your choice; make sure there is a root vegetable and some sort of beans to make the soup hearty.
- You can use canned Italian tomatoes in juice.