Green moong (Mung Bean) is a super food that is packed with nutrients and is a rich source of fiber. It is a powerful source of vegetarian protein and becomes even more nutritious in sprouted form.
I sprout green moong on a regular basis and love to eat them as a salad, in a stir-fry style or in a curry form as I have prepared today.
To sprout the moong: Soak them overnight, strain and keep them wrapped in a kitchen towel in a warm place. Sprouts should come out in about 6-8 hours. Keep them for longer duration if you want longer sprouts!
Paneer or Indian cottage cheese is another great source of protein. I am a big fan of paneer in any recipe and am glad my kids love it too!
I have created a recipe using both of these super foods – Moong Paneer Curry – this is not only nutritious but also full of flavors and absolutely delicious! You get the crunch from beans which are not overcooked and the softness of fresh paneer – makes you keep wanting for more 🙂
I can eat a bowl of this curry by itself!! It can be served with bread of your choice or rice!
Recipe Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups soaked green moong (I used sprouted)
- 4 oz. paneer, cubed in small pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. garlic, grated
- 3-4 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato puree
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. chaat masala
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1-2 cups of water
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, stir for few seconds.
- Add onions and green chilies. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic and fry for a minute or two on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, puree and all dry spices. Fry for 7-10 minutes or until oil starts to separate.
- Add sprouted moong and mix well.
- Add water and let it come to a boil. Adjust water according to desired consistency.
- Add paneer pieces and cook covered over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rotis, parathas or steamed rice.