Baingan (Eggplant) bharta is a popular North Indian delicacy, which is made with roasted and mashed eggplant, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and spices. The eggplant can be roasted over a flame, grill or in the oven but the best results come from charring over a flame or charcoal grill!
Growing up, eggplant was one of my least favorite vegetables. Now, I can eat them in all sorts of preparations. I try to experiment with eggplant by adding other accompaniments to hide the blandness yet elevate the flavor of this versatile vegetable.
Today, I have added sweet mini peppers to it and absolutely loved the sweetness with soft met in mouth eggplant mash. The sweetness of mini peppers truly compliments the smokiness and nuttiness of the roasted eggplant.
Recipe Servings: 4 Time: 1 hour
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- ½ tsp. grated garlic
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4-6 sweet mini peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala powder
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Make slits on the eggplant, drizzle oil on it and wrap in an aluminum foil.
- Roast eggplant in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Peel the eggplant skin and mash gently when it cools down.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add chopped onions, green chilies and sauté until light brown.
- Add grated ginger, garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped mini peppers and green peas and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, and garam masala and fry until oil starts to separate.
- Add mashed eggplant and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve it with chapatti, paratha or naan.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Keep cooking!!